Further exploration of picture books, and children's literature in general.
- Illustrating Children's Picture Books.
- Notes and bibliography for aspiring authors. These are the instructional materials for a class on visual storytelling, hosted on this same site.
- The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI).
- A society of published and aspiring authors with international affiliates. Holds an annual conference, recognizing the year's best work with the 'Golden Kite' award.
- The Graphic Artists Guild (GAG).
- Illustrators' and designers' union. Publishes the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
(the 10th edition, published in September 2000, is still the most current).
- The Children's Book Council (CBC).
- Association of US publishers and packagers of trade books for children. Includes a membership list (publishers' contact info, updated at the beginning of every month), and a page on the 'Publishing Process' for new illustrators and new writers.
- Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market, 2002 (the 2003 edition should be available shortly).
- A reference book listing opportunities for authors, contact information, and practical business tips.
- Raab Associates.
- Archives of To Market, the column that Susan Salzman Raab writes for the SCBWI Bulletin. Other marketing and P.R. resources as well.
- Children's Writing Resource Center.
- Presented by Children's Books Insider newsletter. Offers reports, how-to tips, news, and a chat room on children's book publishing.
- Illustration for Children's Books Ring.
- WebRing linking sites set up by illustrators.
- Authors and Illustrators for Children Webring.
- Another WebRing, includes writers as well.
- CLWG-The Children's Literature Web Guide.
- An extensive collection of links, lists and news. Maintained by David K. Brown at the Doucette Library of the University of Calgary, Canada.
- Reference info for writers and illustrators. Maintained by Jim Witkins, a web designer and children's book author.
- Once Upon A Time magazine.
- Excerpts from recent issues of this print magazine, and a form to buy a subscription.
- Pam Muñoz Ryan: Children's Author.
- Reviews, instructional material, and a page of advice for writers and illustrators.
- PicBookArts resource page.
- Very thorough list of resources (on the net and elsewhere) for children's book authors.
- The Purple Crayon: A Children's Book Editor's Site.
- Original articles on children's book publishing and links to Internet resources. Maintained by Harold D. Underdown.
- The Horn Book, Inc..
- Publishers of the magazine by the same name--reviewing children's literature for the past 75 years.
- April's Poetry and Picturebook Pond.
- Maintained by author and poet April Halprin Wayland, includes information on where a young author can get published.